Learn about what’s new in the latest Flood Factor update.
Quarterly Data Updates
We are committed to the accuracy of our data and will continue to grow, adapt, and change our Flood Model as we learn new and better information. As such, improvements to our Flood Model are included in quarterly data updates. Sign up for our newsletter to learn about updates as they become available by clicking or tapping here.
September 16, 2020
- Added 2 million new properties on Flood Factor.
- Updated Flood Factor scores for some properties based on new and improved data on their flood risk.
- Made additional coastal cities and counties with cleaner coastal flood layer visuals available.
- Removed areas that are currently under review based on new and improved flood risk data.
Oct 30, 2020
- Improved our Flood Model by determining a property’s Flood Factor is most accurate when calculated based on the building’s footprint, or outline. As a result the center of map pins have been moved from the center of a property to the building footprint.
- Added new property addresses via Mapbox in order to provide Flood Factors for as many properties as possible.
- Widened the boundary for coastal properties in order to fully capture all possible flood risk scenarios for these areas.
- Adjusted Flood Factor for properties in South East Florida in to reflect all flood risks scenarios a property faces.
- Updated 2035 map flood layers for some areas.
January 18, 2021
- Updated Flood Factors that better represent wetland conditions and incorporate the latest geographic data.
- Improved the accuracy and extents of flooding for several historic flood events, including Hurricane Katrina.
- Analyzed and added millions of new properties to Flood Factor with improved statistical methods and issues identified by users.
- Updated FEMA designations to reflect LOMAs and LOMCs submitted by users in addition to more accurate FEMA zone data obtained from FEMA.
Ongoing site enhancements aim to provide our users with the best experience possible on floodfactor.com.
August 24, 2020
- Added the 5% likelihood of a property flooding to the flood risk explorer.
- Improved address search function on Flood Factor.
Sep 16, 2020
- Added local Flood Factor score maps on property pages.
- Made copy updates in partnership with The Association of State Floodplain Management.
October 30, 2020
- Updated address information in order to improve the search experience.
- Updated map pins to be shown on top of building outlines (when possible).
- Added new and updated coastal cities and counties with cleaner coastal flood layer visuals on the Flood risk explorer in 2035 for properties in southeastern Florida.
November 13, 2020
- Added a pin on score maps so users can easily identify their property at any zoom level.
- Optimized Flood Factor’s load time for an even faster experience.
- Updated some coastal areas to include 50% probability.
December 3, 2020
- Included a zoom bar for the score map to allow users to view Flood Factors on a neighborhood and city level.
- Improved the Flood Factor experience on mobile devices.
January 18, 2021
- Enhanced maps on desktop to expand for a fully immersive experience.