Learn how to get access to data from the most comprehensive flood model in existence.
Flood Factor is a free online tool created by the nonprofit First Street Foundation to share flood risk information with the public. First Street Foundation supports scientific collaboration and data transparency, and strives to make its peer-reviewed research and data accessible and reusable. Bulk data services are for sale for research purposes or integration into reports, websites, and other systems. Partnerships through the Flood Lab provide discounted access to accredited researchers, while the API provides access for those who have purchased the data or flood hazard layers services.
The First Street Foundation Application Programming Interface (API)
The First Street Foundation API provides researchers, businesses, and government agencies access to the Foundation’s flood risk data for both distribution and secondary analysis, including distribution of the data on consumer-facing websites, such as Realtor.com.
The First Street Foundation API allows for easy integration of all of the flood risk information available on Flood Factor plus more. It is developer-friendly and has a reliable infrastructure. Through the purchase of the available services, users are able to compare risk over time based on a changing environment, gain access to the broadest national adaptation dataset in existence, and more.
There are currently 18 API products available across 7 categories or services, plus a query product. These include:
- Location API - Access any property’s Flood FactorTM, risk summary, and how risks are evolving over time due to environmental changes.
- Historic API - Gain insight into the likelihood of a location’s past flooding with over 100 historic floods modeled, mapped and analyzed.
- Probability API - Obtain the annual or cumulative risk for any property for 8 return periods over the next 30 years.
- Adaptation API - Understand what local adaptation measures, like seawalls and levees, serve the location and to what extent.
- Environmental API - See how changing weather patterns and higher seas contribute to greater risks in the future.
- FEMA API - Acquire NFIP claims data from FEMA including the number of policies, number of claims, amount of coverage, and amount paid on claims.
- Tiles API - Incorporate hazard layers into external maps or overlay for analysis visually showing extents of past, present or future risk.
Sign up for the API
Direct access to the First Street Foundation API is available on a subscription basis and costs are determined based on organization type, size and needs. First Street welcomes interest from potential commercial, academic, nonprofit, government and public sector users. The First Street Foundation Flood Model data are also available through a partnership with LightBox, a leading provider of Commercial Real Estate (CRE) data and workflow solutions, via SmartParcels®, the most complete parcel database in North America. Learn more about the First Street Foundation API on firststreet.org or you can contact sales directly through the sign up form.
API Data Use Intentions
Approval for access to and pricing for the First Street Foundation API data will be based on the intended use or application. Users will be vetted through a review process and provided access based on merit and their usage intentions.
There are three main use intention types for the data: Commercial, Academic, and Public Sector. Data use may involve internal or external analysis and/or direct data or visual display. All uses require a detailed explanation of the data application, and if the use case is approved, the requestor will gain a license tailored for that specific use only.
- Commercial should be selected for any cases that involve a for-profit use case.
- Academic should be selected by professors, students or academic researchers for anything used specifically for non commercial uses.
- Public sector should be selected for anything related to government use cases.
The First Street Foundation Flood Lab
First Street Foundation is partnering with a group of leading researchers from the country’s top academic institutions. The First Street Foundation Flood Lab is working to quantify the impacts of flooding on the national economy. Members of the Flood Lab, which currently includes 90 researchers from 20 universities, conduct critical public analysis to provide insights to relevant communities, researchers, policymakers, and organizations.
Current members of the First Street Foundation Flood Lab
Apply to become a Flood Lab Partner
To apply to join the Flood Lab as a partner, researchers should apply through the contact sales form and note Flood Lab Applicant along with a short description of the proposed research in the Use Case Intention Explanation field. Researchers will then be directed to submit a full research proposal for review. Proposals will be reviewed on a quarterly basis by an expert panel. The panel will evaluate applications based on the proposal’s merit, the researchers’ previous work and on the topics proposed out of respect to existing Flood Lab researchers’ work. Approved applicants will receive access to the API to conduct analysis.